When the clock springs forward, horse owners everywhere rejoice. It means more time to spend with our equine companions, more time in the saddle and a sure sign that winter is on the way OUT. On the flip side it also means rain… lots and lots of rain. And with it, rain rot.
What’s rain rot?
Rain rot shares comes from a bacterium called dermatophilus congolensis. This bacteria is in a family called actinomycetes, these little things act like both bacteria and fungi. Horses naturally have these organisms on their skin; they lay dormant until rainy, wet conditions cause it to flare-up.
How do you treat rain rot?
The solution to starving off this bacterium is keep your horse’s skin dry. One option is keeping your horse inside. But this simply isn’t an option for some horses. Another way to keep your horse dry is to use a turnout sheet. But this can trap moisture and could actually fuel the bacteria.
So, we need to keep our horse’s skin dry, but how?
That’s where COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER comes in.
What’s COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER?
COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER is the first DRY way to PREVENT and TREAT rain rot. It’s all natural, and made from only seven simple ingredients. It’s anti-bacterial, and anit-fungal, which will destroy existing fungal and bacterial colonies, or stop them before they erupt.
How does COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER work to treat rain rot?
COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER starves the bacterium of it’s food source. Remember, it needs moisture to thrive. The moisture on your horse’s skin. COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER gets to work drying up this moisture, and the colonies die off. Because there are no harsh chemicals, this leaves only healthy cells behind. With the bacterium gone, and by using the COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER to keep them away, your horse’s skin can safely heal.
Is COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER only for rain rot?
Nope. COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER can help almost every equine skin ailment. It works by creating a healing environment where your horse’s immune system can do what it does best. Fight and Heal.
And here are some other great uses for COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER!
- By using COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER under horse blankets, sheets, coolers, saddle pads and work boots, you can prevent bacteria build up, keep them smelling fresh, and protect against chafing
- After rides to help dry up sweat, all while keeping bacteria and fungus away
- On itchy, smelly dogs as a dry shampoo to keep them clean and comfortable between bathing, while also treating hot spots
- On yourself, using the COAT DEFENSE® daily PREVENTATIVE POWDER as a deodorant to replace any aluminum based brands, on legs to slip on riding breeches, and in helmets to reduce sweat and rubbing on my forehead
- It’s an excellent dry shampoo when it’s too cold for a hose
What about COAT DEFENSE® TROUBLE SPOT DRYING PASTE?
COAT DEFENSE® TROUBLE SPOT DRYING PASTE is used AFTER the skin is heavily inflamed or broken. The thick consistency creates a protective barrier and defends the skin cells from pathogens and moisture. Fungus and bacteria require moisture to survive and thrive. COAT DEFENSE® TROUBLE SPOT DRYING PASTE provides the skin with a dry environment to enable healing, it continuously draws out moisture, and allows the body to repair damaged cells.
What can COAT DEFENSE® TROUBLE SPOT DRYING PASTE treat?
- Scratches / Mud Fever / cellulitis – Dries and Draws fungus, bacteria, and general inflammation allowing for dramatic results in 2-4 days
- Summer / Florida Sores – Dries, Draws, and shrinks
- Proud Flesh – shrinks and dries
- Insect Bites – cools, calms and eliminates itch. Draws out poison and inflammation. Horses, Dogs, and especially people
- Dog Hot Spots – Calms, cools, and the area becomes ignored while healing
- Acne – as an overnight mask, the drawing properties have delighted many adolescents!
- Poison Ivy-stops itch on contact and draws out ooze quickly and painlessly
Most horse owners find themselves suffering alongside their horse when rain rot rears it’s ugly head. Some may reduce the pain and scabs, but only for a short period of time. Let COAT DEFENSE® help end this cycle today.